Celebrex is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine or NSAIDs. The action of this medicine involves the reduction of the hormones that produce inflammation and pain in the body.
Celebrex effectively relieves pain, treats redness, swelling and inflammation caused by short-term pain and different types of arthritis.
The use of this medicine is limited in certain groups of patients including those with heart problems. Celebrex is never used just prior or after a heart surgery – coronary artery bypass graft (CABG).
Celebrex should be used exactly as prescribed. The medicine lowest effective dose is administered for the shortest period of time.
The indications of this medicine are wide: to treat pain or inflammation caused by arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, and menstrual pain, hereditary polyps in the colon.
Celebrex is available in the form of capsules for oral use containing either 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg or 400 mg of Celecoxib.
Call your health care provider and ask him if you use the next drugs with Celebrex:
• an antidepressant: fluvoxamine (Luvox), escitalopram (Lexapro), citalopram (Celexa),fluoxetine (Sarafem, Prozac, Symbyax), sertraline (Zoloft) or paroxetine (Paxil). If you use these drugs with an NSAID may cause you to bleed or bruise easily. • an ACE inhibitor: enalapril (Vasotec),benazepril (Lotensin), lisinopril ( Zestril, Prinivil), ramipril (Altace),quinapril (Accupril) ;
• a diuretic (water pill) : furosemide (Lasix);
• lithium (Lithobid,Eskalith);
• fluconazole (Diflucan);
• a blood pressure or heart medication: eprosartan (Teveten), candesartan (Atacand), irbesartan (Avalide, Avapro), ), valsartan (Diovan), losartan (Hyzaar, Cozaarte), olmesartan (Benicar),lmisartan (Micardis);
• a blood thinner: warfarin ( Jantoven, Coumadin);
This medicine may cause life-threatening circulation or heart problems especially if you use it long term ( stroke or heart attack). Do not use this drug just after or before CABG (heart bypass surgery). Go to your doctor at once, if you have weakness,slurred speech, chest pain, problems with vision or problems with balance, shortness of breath.
This medicine may cause serious effects on: the intestines or stomach, perforation, bleeding. Go to your health care provider at once if you have the next symptoms or problems of stomach bleeding (coughing up blood, tarry stools,bloody, black).
If you take Celebrex, you should avoid the next:
-Avoid drinking alcohol
-Avoid taking Celebrex with :
naproxen (Treximet,Naprelan,Naprosyn, Aleve),
ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin),
diclofenac ( Solareze,Pennsaid, Flector Patch,Voltaren,Cataflam, Cambia,Arthrotec),
mefenamic acid (Ponstel),
Call your health care provider or doctor:
• high blood pressure, heart disease;
• congestive heart failure,
• liver or kidney disease,
• a history of stroke; a history of blood clot; a history of heart attack;
• a history of stomach ulcers; or
• blood clotting disorder;
•a history of bleeding;
• polyps in your nose.
Don’t use it if you have allergic reaction to celecoxib, or if you have a history of allergic reaction to sulfa drugs, aspirin.
You shouldn’t use Celebrex just after or before heart bypass surgery . If you use Celebrex long term, it may cause life-threatening circulation or heart problems such as stroke or heart attack.
But there are many patients, who have less serious side effects:
• upset stomach;
• stuffy or runny nose;
• mild skin rash;
• sore throat.
Patients who use this drug, may have side effects, such as:
• upper stomach pain,chest pain, weakness;
• problems with vision or balance;
• numbness, bruising, severe tingling, pain, muscle weakness; or
• followed by a purple or red o skin rash that spreads and causes peeling/blistering ,sore throat, fever, burning in your skin pain, eyes ,swelling in your tongue or face;
• tarry/black/bloody stools; less than usual ;
• vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
• shortness of breath;
• coughing up blood;
• rapid weight gain or swelling ;
• skin rash, loss of appetite;
• dark urine, itching,clay-colored stools, nausea.